22 Feb 2011

Choreography II – How students used the flip cameras

Posted by Carole Kirk

Flip cameraAs promised, here is a summary of some of the ways in which the ChoreographyII students used the flip cameras:-

• Recording observations of spaces/sites and how those spaces are used
  • Recording choreography tasks/improvisations
  • Spoken reflections, talking to the camera.  Some pointed the camera at their feet, or a cushion to avoid videoing themselves.  Some read out from notes; others talked freely without preparation (thinking out loud).
  • Trying things out with dancers and recording experiments on video.
  • Recording practice sessions and rehearsals, and recording their thoughts on those
  • Recording presentations to class
  • Reflections on feedback and recording ideas for what to try next. 
  • Recording dancer discussions.
  • Using the video to try different angles, thinking about position of audience and from which angles the dance will have most impact on the audience.

Some comments from the students about the use of the flip cameras:-

“Using the flip camera allowed me to record movement and improvisation tasks on camera. I can then look at the recordings on my own and identify movements which I like and do not like and generate them into set movement material.”

“I remember at the beginning absolutely hating filming myself  … you’re so not used to seeing you or hearing you talk – it was almost annoying to film what you  thought. But then after a while you just didn’t care. The more you used it, the more you just got used to seeing yourself or hearing yourself … but I think at first everyone was really aware of them being recorded”

“I watch the footage back and this allows me to refine ideas, reminds me of any thoughts for edit I had whilst watching it live and the camera also can provide me with some ideas for choreographic developments.”

“If I have any ideas I can just record them.”

“I have been able to reflect on my work more regularly and has enabled myself and the dancers to remind ourselves of movements I wish to place within the work e.g. when looking at improvisations I can find moments of coincidence I may have not  saved otherwise through memory.”

“I can show my dancers how they look when they are performing.”

“… there was one task that Fiona set us where she said ‘record it, speak first, don’t write it first’, and then when I was typing what I’d said it was kind of unexpected, so that wasn’t what I would have written – it’s obviously what came to me first when I was saying it.”

“It was just really beneficial to look at your work in your own time so that if you left your rehearsals and you were on your own at home waiting for the next rehearsal you could look at your work and develop it in your head before the next rehearsal”

“being able to look at it from the outsiders point of view ”