11 Feb 2011

Choreography II – How students used blogs

Posted by Carole Kirk

These were some of the ways in which the Choreography II students used their blogs.  These could be adapted as blog prompts for your students, or your blog.  Where they used flip cameras, you could just as easily use an audio recorder.

Blog and Latte

Photo credit: Filipe Ferreira on Flickr

• Used like sketchbooks to gather bits and pieces together into one place.
  • Recording influential or interesting videos from YouTube.
  • Using the flip recorder to capture ideas.
  • Using recorder to record information about spaces/sites.
  • Talking reflections out loud to recorder.
  • Trying things out and recording experiments e.g. photos or sketches.
  • Written reflections to support visual material.
  • Quotes from reading, and then explaining why they feel that quote is relevant to their practice by referring to examples from their practice.
  • Connections (links) to other practitioners’ work with notes of why relevant to own work.  and how it has suggested ideas for their project.
  • Record questions or ideas to explore later.
  • Reflections on feedback and recording ideas for what to try next.  Some of this done on recorder, some in text.
  • Recording presentations to class on recorder.
  • Blogging images that were a stimulus for ideas.
  • Scan of brainstorm spider diagram.
  • Some blogs are chatty, some are formal.

Some comments from the students about the blogs:

student blogging

Photo credit: Delia Muir

… having a blog each was really useful … without the blog (it) wouldn’t be like a process;  you wouldn’t be able to write and stuff, and it wouldn’t all be together…

It’s like a thread of thoughts you have, bits of writing… and then you can put it all together and make it makes more sense – ‘coz sometimes when you have so many thoughts together and you just put them into everything ,you’re a bit like really lost …

… without being able to record my thoughts clearly I might get confused as to how my ideas were developing and then not understand where I was trying to go with the work.  But having the flip camera and the blog and combining the two in like chronological order really helped me give focus and direction to my work.

They have to be in order … you could literally see what your last move was or where you got the original idea from …

It was useful having the visual aid and then I could type … all my notes on…

It’s good you can see, on mine, you can really see the process, and visually as well, you can really see how my ideas change …

… on my blog it’s amazing how your ideas just go like tsssssh into different things, and you can put everything in the same place, it’s really nice

It made me organised because normally … I’ll write down loads of notes, and then my notes will be all over my pad, all over every single folder that I own, shoved down places on pieces I’ll have lost.  But in my blog it will all be there, and then if anyone gives feedback and then says ‘oh, look into this’, then I’ll look into that and then it’s in the blog …

And here’s how it helped their Tutor:

I found … I felt far more attached … to the whole process of the module, of what everybody has been doing by just being able to go in and see what’s been happening on your blogs … and being able to think ‘oh, OK, I can see what they’ve been up to’ and then (helping) me thinking what’s going to happen next in the session …

In a later post, I’ll share some of what they said about the use of the flip cameras.